Dakota County Tax information
Get all the latest information on taxes at the following sites:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS): For individuals or small businesses, get all your federal income tax information here. You can also call 1-800-829-1040.
- IRS Multilingual video: Tax videos in multiple languages.
- IRS American Sign Language videos: Tax videos for the hearing impaired.
- Minnesota Department of Revenue: State income tax information. You can also call 651-296-3781.
- YouClaimIt.org: Online guide to tax credit information.
Free Tax Preparation
You may qualify for free tax preparation at various locations across Minnesota. You can generally get help at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site if any of the following are true:
- You are age 60 or older
- You are a person with a disability
- You speak limited or no English
- Your annual income is less than $54,000
In addition, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free tax preparation for all taxpayers, particularly those who are age 50 or older. AARP Tax-Aide sites do not have income or age restrictions. Both programs will only prepare basic returns.
- Dakota County Free Tax Prep Map: A map of free tax prep locations available in Dakota County.
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Free Tax Prep Search: Free help for low- to moderate-income individuals who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. For the nearest location, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
- Prepare + Prosper: Free tax services in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Hopkins, and Bloomington. Prepare + Prosper isn’t just taxes. They also offer financial products and services at their tax sites. You can also call 651-287-0187.
- My Free Taxes: Easy, safe, secure and 100 percent free tax filing resource from the United Way and a partnership with H&R Block.
- Dakota County Library: Free tax preparation services from AARP Tax-Aide for low-to-moderate income seniors, adults and families.
- Dakota County: A helpful list of tax preparation resources
What you should bring
You should bring any statements, forms, receipts or other documentation of your income, tax-deductible expenses, and property tax or rental payments you made. The Minnesota Department of Revenue has checklists are available in the following languages English Spanish Somali Hmong
IRS Tax Question Video
Prepare + Prosper
2610 University Ave. W., Suite LL, St. Paul, MN 55114
Providing free tax assistance each year to thousands of low-income working taxpayers and sole-proprietors, and helping them to maximize the tax credit refunds they are due to significantly boost their incomes
To schedule an appointment go to prepareandprosper.org
or call 651-287-0187
- IRS-certified volunteers
- Volunteers prepare federal and Minnesota tax returns including property tax refunds for renters and home owners
- Appointments are required and scheduled up to 3 weeks in advance starting Jan 11. Please allow 2-3 hours for your tax preparation.
MN Public Utilities Commission
- The federal Lifeline and state Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) programs provide monthly telephone service discounts on one telephone line or wireless telephone per household
- Must meet income guidelines to be eligible
- Contact your landline or wireless provider to request an application