2020 Garden to Table Events Intern
The Open Door
Part-time Season Garden To Table Events Intern
20 hours per week, $12/hr.
Beginning April 1st through September 2020
Schedule: Flexible scheduling, in coordination with supervisor. Typically, afternoons and early evenings. Occasional nights and weekends required. These dates are set up in advance.
Supervisor: Garden to Table Manager
The Open Door’s Mission: A fresh approach to ending local hunger through access to healthy food.
Background: The Open Door is a hunger relief agency that serves Dakota County, MN. Garden to Table is a sustainable approach to eliminating local hunger by empowering communities to learn and grow together. Over 200 garden plots are available at 10+ sites across Dakota County for low-income families, and participation includes plants, seeds, tools, and training needed to grow healthy foods.
Garden to Table also organizes businesses, schools, churches, and other organizations to plant gardens and urban farms on their property and donate the produce to The Open Door’s food shelves.
Garden to Table Events Intern Responsibilities:
Support Community and Educational Events
- Recruit needed volunteers with Volunteer Manager
- Procure and organize materials needed for each event: food preservation, garden camp, workshops/gardening classes/volunteer groups
Support Program Operations
- Coordinate weekly workdays and tasks at each garden including tracking fruit trees and harvest, compost pile, plot and path maintenance
- Follow up with gardeners by in-person, phone, and email
- Communicate needs to gardeners by emails and phone calls occasionally mail about upkeep up the garden plots and take appropriate steps to ensure family/volunteer commitment
- Make phone calls to get unrecorded harvest weights and event reminders
Be an ambassador for The Open Door in the local gardening community
- Represent The Open Door’s mission and organizational values at all events and engagement activities as needed
- Engage Giving Gardens through seasonal garden classes and in person/email/phone check-ins
- Supervise large volunteer groups (6-30 volunteers) on a weekly basis during the growing season
- Vegetable gardening experience
- Experience working with children
- Experience effectively working with people from multiple cultures, races, and ethnicities.
- Computer skills to include email, Microsoft and data spreadsheets;
- Flexibility to work evenings/weekends
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of the team, and exercise good judgment and confidentiality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong ability to communicate across cultures
- Bi-lingual in Spanish strongly preferred
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish or Russian
- Horticulture or agriculture education a plus
- Elementary education/camp counselor or similar experience
- Volunteer and Event management
- Light Carpentry skills
- Fruit tree experience
- The ability to work outdoors in all weather, including cold, hot, windy, rainy, as needed
- The ability to lift 40 pounds
- Possess a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance
- Travel with personal vehicle (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Pass successful background check
- Pass successful review of references
Required Event Hours:
- Spring Kick-off Dinner Thursday, April 16th
- Garden Camp Week 1 June 15 -18
- Garden Camp Week 2 July 14-17
- Garden Camp Week 3 Aug 10-13
- Garden Orientations
- Plant Pick-up Day
- Harvest Dinner
- One weekday evening every week for hosting community garden nights
- One weekend every week for hosting community garden days.
Apply by March 1
Send letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alpa Goswami, Garden to Table Manager
The Open Door
3910 Rahn Rd.
Eagan, MN 55122