We have a dynamic External Communications Specialist opportunity for someone who has strong writing skills and who cares deeply about alleviating hunger in our community. This 20-hour per week position will support the development and communications efforts for an innovative hunger relief organization that feeds thousands of our neighbors each month and is actively redefining what it means to fight suburban hunger. Through a focus on fresh and healthy food, and a dedication to making access to food both dignified and convenient, The Open Door has a remarkable story to tell.
Who would enjoy this position?
- Someone who seeks diverse and multi-faceted duties
- A person with strong writing skills and will love sharing our story through written content such as newsletters, press releases, social media platforms, and additional storytelling methods.
- A collaborative team member who is also self-motivated
What will you do?
In this multi-faceted position, you will be inspired and challenged every day to do your best work. Responsibilities include:
- Maintain and execute communications plans and programs
- Assist in developing multi-channel, compelling strategies, tactics and deliverables
- Build community through external facing communications
- Create and distribute written content for annual reports, press releases, social media platforms, targeted email communications, flyers and other content.
- Write content for both print and Web including the website, printed materials, and newsletter.
- Manage content distribution, including list management, posting to various platforms and analyzing content performance
- Proofreading and editing
- Create PowerPoint presentations and other material for external audiences
- Support a variety of initiatives and projects
- Build strong relationships with all stakeholders
What are the qualifications?
- An ideal candidate will possess excellent communications skills, be highly organized, and have familiarity with nonprofit communications trends. Your
- Strongly preferred: B.S. or B.A. in Communications, English, Journalism or Marketing
- 1-3 years of professional writing and communications
- Advanced Microsoft Office and social media skills required
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to adapt writing style to the intended audience(s)
- Proven track record of exercising sound judgment in communicating with various internal and external audiences
- Ability to operate with a sense of urgency
- Experience working with business teams to develop communications that help achieve desired results
- Effective presentation and communication skills
- Ability to learn new subject areas quickly
External Communications Specialist position is a 20 hour per week paid position. This position offers a flexible work schedule including occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
This position will report to the Development and Communications Manager.
Pay rate: $21.00/hour.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and three brief writing samples.Apply Now